A website (also called an Internet site) is a group of HTML files connected by hypertext links and stored on a web server, i.e. a computer that hosts webpages and is permanently connected to the Internet.
Why Have a Website?
There are many motivations for having a website:
- Need for visibility: a well promoted website can be a good way for a company or organization to increase its visibility
- Improved reputation: with an institutional website or a mini publicity website, a company can expand its popularity with the public
- Data collection: the Internet is a fantastic opportunity for companies to collect client data and attract prospective clients
- Online sales: while initially wary, Internet users have now understood that the Internet is a great medium for buying certain consumer goods. For some companies, a website is a great marketing tool
- A user support service: more and more companies are using the Internet as a medium for providing before- and after-sales service. A website is an inexpensive way for a company to provide Internet users with the maximum amount of business and technical information.